The American Forest & Paper Association has released its 2016 Sustainability Report. In this report they showcase the U.S. pulp, paper, packaging, tissue and wood products industry’s sustainability statistics. In this report is explains the industries progress towards their goal of achieving the Better Practices, Better Planet 2020 sustainability.
The American Forest & Paper Association Report highlights:
- Greenhouse gas emissions were reduced by 16%, more than 15% that was expected for the same period
- The safety incidence rate has improved by more than 40%, more than 25% that was planned
- More than 63% of paper consumed in the United States was recovered through recycling for the past 7 years
- Pulp and paper mills are self-generating an average of 66% of their energy from biomass and renewable sources
- Water consumption by mills is now reused on average ten times.